Tuesday 27 March 2012

Evaluation Question 2



My main artist who is featured on my cover and in my double page spread is Rhys Jenkins, he is 18 and I believe his general appearance already suits the genre of music when in comparison with bands such as Elbow and R.E.M. His clothing in the shots I took is very neat yet has a casual look to it. By choosing the alternative rock genre I give myself a wide spectrum of choices of expression, location and appearance that I can choose from but I believe the most effective shots were to be of a smarter and more old fashioned side of the genre like the bands previously named.

In the pictures you can see he is wearing a smart pair of jeans, these give off a casual yet smart look to the artist which is used by some by some bands in the genre. On the cover page you can see he’s wearing a slightly more casual and almost indie style jacket but it still gives off a neat and formal feel at the same time as looking fashionable and suiting the genre of music. By making the shot a long shot it also allows the reader to see the footwear of the artist, in this picture he is wearing a fairly plain pair of Vans, this is a popular brand, especially in this genre of music.

The clothing slightly changes on the double page spread with the addition of a thick long fleece coat. This looks very smart in the pictures and the dark colour adds to the formal look of the artist and makes the greyscale effect work even well on the spread. I decided to use this effect on the double page spread as I thought it gave off the old fashioned and formal feel to the picture while it also resembled pictures taken off similar artists such as Elbow, as seen on my blog wallpaper.

I used a blank background for the shots for one main reason. I didn’t want any props or background interference to take away the reader’s attention from the artist himself. I wanted to do this because as my artist profile says, the artist is part of a rising band which therefore might not be known by the majority of readers yet. Therefore I wanted to completely focus on the artist and I felt a blank canvas background would focus the reader in specifically on the artist.

My artist profile for my feature article is shown on my cover, my contents page and then is the feature article on my double page spread. When writing my artist profile I wanted to ensure the bands background was involved and that the feeling that they were an up and coming band was felt so I could then put this across in my article. I then had to decide what I wanted their background to be, I wanted it to seem believable and resemble what the background to other more well-known bands are that resemble the type of music that my band produce. Therefore I did some research into the bands that may resemble this one, such as Elbow, R.E.M and The kings of Leon and made a past for my band by mixing a few of them together. I did this because I really wanted my profile and then my article to seem as if the band had fought for this from the very bottom and was finally getting the attention they deserve, making a real eye catching and gripping article for readers who want to learn more about a less known by rising in popularity band.

I believe my contents page attracts the whole spectrum of alternative rock fans. The massive attraction for many fans of this genre is the huge variety of music that this genre can open them up to. Therefore when choosing the artists and articles I would feature in my magazine I had to ensure that this feeling of variety was put across. I believe that I got this across by purely putting music articles in my magazine. After audience analysis I noticed that this genre of music and its fans were obsessed by music and were always listening to the radio or reading magazines to find the latest hits or new bands. Therefore I needed to completely focus my contents page on the variety of music available in this genre. I believe I have achieved this by covering both ends of the genre spectrum with bands such as MUSE, Snow patrol, Maroon 5, Coldplay and Noel Gallagher and the high flying birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment